Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.
ABC Top Stories
Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- Here are the latest scores and winners:

INTERLEAGUE
Arizona 4, Houston 0
N.Y. Yankees 7, N.Y. Mets 5

AMERICAN LEAGUE

Cleveland 9, Minnesota 3
Toronto 5, Tampa Bay 3
Minnesota 4, Cleveland 2
Texas 9, Chicago White Sox 8

NATIONAL LEAGUE
Cincinnati 13, Chicago Cubs 10
Atlanta 10, Colorado 4
St. Louis 11, Pittsburgh 7
Washington 2, San Diego 1
San Francisco 5, Philadelphia 4

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

Wavebreak Media/Thinkstock(LEXINGTON, N.C.) -- Attorneys for former FBI agent Tom Martens and his 33-year-old daughter, Molly Martens Corbett, who were found guilty of second-degree murder last week, are attempting to have the convictions set aside because of alleged juror misconduct, according to documents obtained by ABC News.

A jury of nine women and three men delivered the verdict after less than four hours of deliberation, concluding that the father and daughter intentionally and unlawfully killed Corbett's husband, 39-year-old Irishman Jason Corbett, beating him to death with a child’s baseball bat and a paving stone at the Corbett home in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, in August 2015.

The pair claimed self-defense and defense of others in Corbett’s death. During the three-and-a-half-week trial, Tom Martens took the witness stand, telling jurors he was staying at his daughter’s home when he was woken up by noises upstairs. Martens testified that he found his son-in-law, Jason Corbett, with his hands around his daughter’s neck, threatening to kill her.

Defense attorneys now claim in a motion, filed Wednesday in a Davidson County court, that “voluntary press interviews,” including one with ABC News Correspondent Linzie Janis, a post-verdict press conference by the jury foreman and “social media posts” of certain jurors reveal misconduct.

The motion alleges that the press interviews and social media posts show that the jurors were discussing the case among themselves both “prior to closing arguments and during deliberations, both inside and outside the courthouse,” despite explicitly and repeatedly being instructed not to do so by the judge.

The motion states that the jury foreman, Tom Aamland, made a statement during a press conference after the trial that he and his fellow jurors had “private conversations” that indicated how jurors were leaning in their decision ahead of the jury deliberation period.

Defense attorneys Walter C. Holton and David Freedman also allege that Aamland and one of the other jurors met in a parked vehicle for 10 to 15 minutes during deliberations. The attorneys are asking for a hearing to explore the content of that and all other “private conversations.”

The motion filed on behalf of Martens and Molly Martens Corbett accused the jury of forming opinions about Corbett’s character and mental health despite the fact that she never took the stand, allegedly violating her Sixth Amendment right to trial by a fair and impartial jury. The motion quotes juror Nancy Perez in her interview with Janis for ABC News' 20/20 in which she said, “I think Molly is a person that has not been ever held accountable for any actions whatsoever. I think Molly was Daddy’s princess, just like every girl in Daddy’s eyes. I feel like Molly was very manipulative.”

The motion also describes what one of the jurors told 20/20 they believed happened the night of the murder. “Molly was the aggressor, striking her husband first with the paving stone while he was asleep in bed,” the motion states. The defense attorneys call that belief a direct contradiction to the court’s finding that there was no evidence of Molly Corbett's being the aggressor.

The state has 10 days to respond to the motion. Davidson County District Attorney Garry Frank tells ABC News, “We do not believe the motion, under our law, has any merit. We are preparing a response to be filed next week.”

Molly Martens Corbett and Tom Martens were each sentenced to 20 to 25 years in prison.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

Josep Lago/Getty Images(BARCELONA, Spain) -- Following a deadly vehicle-ramming attack in Barcelona Thursday afternoon -- which left at least 13 people killed -- a police operation was carried out 90 minutes south of the city in Cambrilla, during which five "terrorists" were killed, officials said.

Police said the operation was in response to a "possible terrorist attack."

Five "terrorists" were killed in the operation, but officials initially said four people were injured and one person was wounded and detained.

On Twitter, police said they "have killed the alleged perpetrators." Catalan police told ABC News that they believe the incident in Cambrils is related to the attack in Barcelona earlier on Thursday.

Authorities confirmed early Friday morning that the explosive belts carried by the alleged terrorists were fake.

"We work on the hypothesis that the terrorists killed in Cambrils would be related to the events in Barcelona and Alcanar," police said. Alcanar is the location of the earlier deadly house explosion that police said was believed to be connected to the Barcelona plot.

Also, Catalunya’s Emergency Services confirmed that in addition to the terrorists, five people were injured. One person is in critical condition, two are in serious condition, and two more are in mild condition.

At least 13 people died and more than 100 were injured when the van slammed into pedestrians in Barcelona's Las Ramblas district.

The U.S. State Department said one American was injured in the attack, although it did not identify the individual. "We can confirm one U.S. citizen suffered minor injuries," a State Department official said. "We are monitoring the situation closely and stand ready to provide consular assistance to any affected U.S. citizens."

And men's college basketball teams from Oregon State, Clemson, Tulane, Arizona and Grand Canyon were in Barcelona at the time of the car attack, but all teams took to Twitter and said everyone was safe and accounted for.

Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop said at a press conference Friday that four Australians were injured and one is unaccounted for. Greece's Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on its website that one Greek national was injured. And Belgium's Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Affairs Minister Didier Reynders tweeted that one of its nationals was killed in the attack.

From team hotel in Barcelona, Oregon St. basketball coach posts somber video conveying the gravity of what took place outside his window. pic.twitter.com/s2zRktUnkk

— ABC News (@ABC) August 17, 2017

Two individuals have been detained in relation to the van incident, police said. One person is a Spanish national from Melilla, and the other is from Morocco.

Neither of those detained was the driver of the van, police said. Police confirmed early Friday that they were still looking for the driver.

A third person was detained early Friday in Ripoll, approximately 66 miles from Barcelona. The suspect was detain in connection with the attacks, according to the department of the Interior.

ISIS has claimed responsibility for the Las Ramblas attack via its Amaq agency, according to the SITE Intelligence Group.

Catalonia's emergency services advised the community to "stay home" and "avoid going out."

Police have connected the incident to a house explosion in Alcanar, Spain, on Wednesday night. The explosion, which caused part of the building to collapse, killed one person and injured others, police said.

The two people who were arrested were detained in the same town as the house explosion, authorities said.

Police described a separate incident in which a car trying to get past a Barcelona checkpoint hit an officer and another person, police said. The incident killed one person and broke the officer's leg, police said.

Authorities said a man inside the car was shot by police, but they did not confirm whether the incident was connected to the attack in Las Ramblas.

A spokesperson for the Guardia Civil, Spain’s national police force, told ABC News the man who rented the van has been identified as Driss Oukabir. Police confirmed that Oukabir is one of the detained individuals.

An eyewitness told a Spanish television station that the driver of the van ran people over for nearly 1,000 feet before fleeing into a nearby Turkish restaurant.

The witness said the suspect had something in his hand, but he could not tell what it was.

Police said there is no proof that the man who left the car was armed but described the incident as a terror attack that attempted to kill as many people as possible.

Some of the injured went to the hospital on their own, said Catalonia's interior minister, Joaquim Forn, in a press conference Thursday night. The number of dead and injured victims could go up, Forn said.

Authorities are in the process of identifying the deceased, he said.

Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy expressed solidarity with the victims and their families, describing the attack as "jihadist terrorism."

Those responsible for the attack will be brought to justice, Rajoy said, stressing that the response to terrorism needs to be global.

Barcelona residents are suffering "the same pain and the same uncertainty" as their neighbors in Madrid, Paris, Nice, Brussels and London, Rajoy said.

Forn declared three days of mourning, and a moment of silence will be held on Friday at noon local time at the Plaza de Catalunya, Forn said. The king of Spain, Felipe VI, will be present for the moment of silence, the palace's official Twitter account announced.

El Rey estar? hoy en la plaza de Catalu?a de Barcelona para unirse al minuto de silencio en solidaridad con las v?ctimas del atentado.

— Casa de S.M. el Rey (@CasaReal) August 17, 2017

Las Ramblas is a popular tourist area in Spain's second-largest city and was filled with people at the time of the attack, police said. Catalan police ordered an evacuation of the area.

Emergency services for the Catalonia region, of which Barcelona is the capital, posted tweets in multiple languages advising individuals to use social media to inform relatives of their whereabouts.

#Barcelona #Rambles If you are ok, please Inform your family using social networks to avoid the collapse of phone lines

— 112 (@112) August 17, 2017

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

Lionsgate/Jack English

Opening nationwide on Friday:

The Hitman's Bodyguard -- Ryan Reynolds plays a bodyguard tasked with protecting his mortal enemy, a notorius hitman -- played by Samuel L. Jackson -- so he could testify at the International Court of Justice. Rated R.

Logan Lucky -- Channing Tatum and Adam Driver star in this comedy about siblings who attempt to pull off an elaborate heist during a NASCAR race in North Carolina. Also starring Riley Keough, Katie Holmes and Daniel Craig. PG-13.

 

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

JIM WATSON/AFP/Getty Images(WASHINGTON) -- In a tweet seemingly responding to the terror attack in Barcelona, Spain, on Thursday, President Donald Trump referenced a factually inaccurate anecdote about combatting Muslim enemies that he often repeated on the campaign trail.

Thirteen people were killed when a van drove through a crowd of pedestrians on a busy street in Spain's second largest city Thursday. ISIS later claimed responsibility for the act that left 100 people injured as well.

"Study what General Pershing of the United States did to terrorists when caught," wrote Trump, less than four hours after the attack. "There was no more Radical Islamic Terror for 35 years!"

 

Study what General Pershing of the United States did to terrorists when caught. There was no more Radical Islamic Terror for 35 years!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 17, 2017

 

The president's post was apparently in reference to a legend about World War I-era Army Gen. John J. Pershing that he first told publicly during a campaign rally in Charleston, South Carolina, in February 2016. According to Trump, Pershing dipped the bullets used to execute Muslim terrorists in pig blood. The Quran prohibits the consumption of pork, which is considered to be "impure."

"They had a terrorism problem and there's a whole thing with swine and pigs and you know the story they don't like them ... and Gen. Pershing was a rough guy and he sits on his horse and he's very astute, like a ramrod. ... And he caught 50 terrorists that did tremendous damage and killed many people ... and he dipped 50 bullets in pig's blood," Trump explained.

"And he had his men load his rifles and he lined up the 50 people, and they shot 49 of those people," he continued. "And the 50th person he said, 'You go back to your people and you tell them what happened.' And for 25 years there wasn't a problem, OK? Twenty-five years there wasn't a problem!"

At the time the story was told, Politifact, an organization that fact-checks the claims of politicians, evaluated Trump's tale and concluded it to be "ridiculous." Politifact cited eight historians who not only noted that the evidence for the blood-dipped bullet aspect of the story "is thin," but also that violence and unrest continued in the referenced region in the Philippines for years during and after U.S. involvement.

It is unclear why Trump's original claim of "25 years" without "a problem" increased to "35 years" in his tweet Thursday.

Snopes, an additional fact-checking outlet, similarly rated the story as false. In its analysis, Snopes writes of a 1927 Chicago Daily Tribune story noting Pershing "sprinkled some prisoners with pig's blood," which was ultimately "more powerful than bullets" as a warning before releasing the prisoners, as well of a separate account that "attributed the deed to someone other than Pershing."

At a press conference from Trump Tower in New York Tuesday, the president outlined his stance on adhering to factual information in response to a question about his hesitancy to condemn hate groups following violent protests last weekend in Charlottesville, Virginia.

"It takes a little while to get the facts. You still don’t know the facts. And it's a very, very important process to me," said Trump, continuing, "So I don’t want to go quickly and just make a statement for the sake of making a political statement. I want to know the facts."

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

MyLoupe/UIG via Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- A new study may spell hope for millions who suffer from peanut allergies.

Scientists in Australia are reporting successful preliminary trials for a pill filled with a mix of probiotics and tiny amounts of peanut to build tolerance to peanut allergies.

Study author Dr. Mimi Tang told the medical journal Lancet Child and Adolescent Health that roughly four out of five children who achieved tolerance after the first trial of the probiotic peanut pill were still eating peanuts four years later and seven in 10 of them had passed a "tolerance challenge."

In the first study, four years ago, 56 children took the pill once daily for 18 months. In this most recent study, 48 of the 56 participated.

"What we found was that the majority of children who achieved tolerance after the end of treatment in the original study were still eating peanuts four years after having stopped their treatment," Tang said.
She said the team of scientists were trying to "reprogram the immune response away from allergy towards tolerance."

"So we were very excited by these findings because to us it really shows that the probiotic-peanut combination can actually change the immune response to peanut and provide benefits, long-term, years after having stopped the treatment," she said.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

Inspired By A True Story Photography(NEW YORK) -- One Target-loving mom decided to return to the store to celebrate her third child.

Page Miller, a professional photographer, told ABC News she lives approximately four minutes away from her local target in St. Louis, Missouri.

"Really, to get anywhere in my town, you have to pass it," she added. "It's where we go for everything."

So when her friend and fellow photographer, Heather Pippin of Inspired By A True Story Photography, came up with the idea to turn a routine trip to her favorite box store into her maternity shoot, the mother of three couldn't resist.

It was especially important for Miller, 24, to celebrate the upcoming birth of her third child, who will become a little brother or sister to her 2-year-old daughter, Avery.

Miller's last child with longtime partner Brad Fincher passed away last year from sudden infant death syndrome.

So the two photographers trekked to Target late last month, running through the aisles and posing with not only food, but clothing found in the store.

Pippin, who's been doing professional photography since 2011, said they two got a few "funny looks [from] few people, like, 'OMG, are they really doing that?' But [mostly] everyone thought it was funny and entertaining."

Miller's favorite part of the one-hour photo shoot was sitting on the floor, eating a canister of cheese puffs. "Avery is obsessed with them," the mother added of her eldest child.

The expectant mother also held up two onesies -- one seemingly for a boy and another for a girl -- to signify that the family doesn't plan to find out the sex of their child until their baby is born later this month. They're expecting his or her arrival on Aug. 25.

"We'll be happy either way," Miller said. "Either one is fine."

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



LinkedUpRadio Envisionwise Web Services